Skip to main content

Nature Roars...While Life Goes On

I have lived between South Central New York and Maryland my whole life... two days ago I experienced feeling my first earthquake! Honestly, I thought the foundation on my old house had finally gave way and the house was caving in... but just then my neighbor called to ask me if "my house was shaking too" (she thought her house was caving in as well)...whew "just an earthquake, 5.8 I hear. Both of our houses are fine.
Now we are preparing for a "terrible hurricane" due to strike tomorrow. Everyone is worried...Ocean City "closed" at 5pm today...turned off all electric, all water, and evacuated all residents and vacationers. New York City is considering closing all mass transit. Wow, Irene is certainly commanding a lot of attention. The coastal areas may face serious damage... but we live 30 minutes inland. I am not quite sure what is wrong with me... I don't feel like everyone else... I feel calm... no sense of fear or motivation to buy great quantities of bread and toilet paper. I am certainly NOT de-valuing the significance that the devastation of a natural disaster can cause... maybe I am just in denial... I don't know?? Maybe... I trust my husband to make good choices for our family's safety, he is devoutly invested in following the weather of the world many times throughout each day... along with sports, politics and other current events...it's his thing. Beyond his best judgements... well I guess I just "Give it to God" as they say... whatever will be...will be... no sense playing the "what if game".

In the midst of nature's activities...today was my husband's 47th birthday. Even though he had to work, we had a "surprise lunch party" for him arranged by our daughter/step-daughter. She thoughtfully stayed up most of last night shopping, baking and making a two layer cake with elaborate fondant decoration! Then tonight I made the meal of his choice and surprised him with his favorite treat... freshly made key lime pie (there is a great new bakery in town)! His day seemed pretty great...he received many calls, texts, cards and a few nice gifts.

Now it is 12:15am... the house is dark and quiet, but I cannot sleep... it is my own fault...I drank some terrific berry wine with my husband this evening... my individual health situation does not tolerate alcohol well... insomnia is one of the consequences.

It is so extremely humid outside right now that all of the windows in our house are covered in fog!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Real Connections" & Providing Chap Stick

When last I wrote the world around me was consumed with "Hurricane Irene", and justly so. Many suffered significant damage related to the storm... and for that my heart is saddened for their loss. My local area has minimal damage to contend with and "the clean-up" is in process. My "brain", my "thoughts" they come and go like most...I suppose. Today I awoke from dreaming about my brother. I have six brothers...four genetic brothers (one full/ three half), and two step-brothers (imagine the challenge the geneticist had trying to chart my pedigree)so let me clarify... I woke up from a dream about the brother I always knew existed... but have never "known". In the dream he and I were talking, it was the middle of the night and we were in the former home of our other brother. My heart was in his hand as I searched for some "common ground" to plant a seed that might bloom into a close sibling relationship... He was upset and I

April 26 - Monday May 3, 2010 A Week Gone By

Sooo you are probably thinking.... what is the Lumberjack all about??? Answer: nothing at all I have just always liked the whole manliness nature of a lumberjack :-) Anyhow... Another week in time... more new job orientation, more domestic navigation, a little spring cleaning, some overnight guests... Cheering for my husband and his buddy as they completed a local triathlon yesterday! They did an awesome job!!! Today is about sorting piles of old (&new) mail... making phone calls, scheduling appointments and being the quality of "glue" that keeps the family together... you all know the stuff I am talking about. The nice part of today is that for the first time in awhile it is completely quiet hmmmmm:-)

Book Review

I just finished this book today. It was an easy and fun read. The elderly always make me smile... I like their stories...I respect their mannerisms. They have seen so much throughout their lifetime... They have "been there and done that"... In my experience...people commonly have less "filtering" the older we get, becoming much more direct... open... straight to the point... I love this type of raw human nature...it is simply refreshing! The woman who interviews the "Centenarians" does a program for "National Public Radio (NPR)" and initially doesn't have much experience with the elderly. It is fun to watch her geriatric insight sprout and bloom paralleled with the "Centenarian" stories of the past and the present. My interest is further peaked by a reference book the author mentions, "A General Theory of Love". I plan to add it to my library list...it focuses on "the biological basis for human emotions...love".